Since the new writing room is 98% done (just general clutter to clear), I've been pretending to be a real writer :)
First and foremost, getting those queries out has been my main objective. I've managed to send two more, another just needs a signature line, and I've got a few more floating in the back of my head. But I digress...
I read a fascinating diabetes-related story today on some research the FDA has been conducting on teenagers and insulin pumps. For those of you who know me, that's a near and dear subject to me...my baby brother (who will be 30 (!!!) in September) has been a Type 1 since the age of 18 months, my best friend has been a Type 1 since age two, and I've spent the last 15 years working at a summer camp with the most amazing diabetic teenagers you've ever met. Anyway--this research was a little fanatical and negative toward teenagers' use of insulin pumps, and frankly--it ticked me off. (also, for those who know me, some of my best writing comes when I'm mad...lol).
I wanted to refute the research and let parents (and others) know that the insulin pump has been nothing short of life-altering for many of the kids I work with, so I scratched out a query on my lunch break to a diabetes magazine I enjoy reading. In looking over submission guidelines, I had a hunch they wanted samples along with my query even though it didn't mention it explicitly (call it writer's intuition), so I called the assistant editor, left a message, and went back to work.
Just before I headed out for the day, the editor returned my call. He confirmed what they wanted, I zipped off my query, and promptly forgot about it on the drive home. After dinner, I happened to glance at my phone and noticed a call I'd missed--the head editor. He left me a great message: not only does he want to discuss my idea further (he really likes the idea), but also wants to discuss the possibility of me doing more writing for them. I can't wait to call him tomorrow. I probably won't even sleep. Just like Christmas! I love writing about diabetes with the intention to inform and help. Very cool!
Maybe it's just me pretending, or this great new striped purple wallpaper that inspires me...but I'm starting to feel like a real writer...lol.
All I can say now is...bring on Tuesday! What are your writing goals for the week?
Monday, May 05, 2008
I love Mondays. Honest!
Posted by Beth at Monday, May 05, 2008
