My blog has moved!More great writing content added every day!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.writer-in-progress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Desperately Seeking...Your Thoughts

I just got an email response to a query that left me scratching my head. As writers, I'd like your input on my evident misinterpretation of the guidelines.

Here's the guidelines:

WRITERS GUIDELINES
Articles accepted 'on spec' and available as reprints.
Queries considered if accompanied by writing samples.
Submissions accepted in Microsoft Word, SimpleText or in body of email.


Here's what I asked the assistant editor when I called:
"To whom do I mail my query letter and samples?"

Here's what she said
"xxxx@sssss.com" (obviously changed to protect the innocent--my point is that I deliberately asked about sending the query and the clips)

Here's what I sent:

A query letter for an article topic covered in the "Types of Articles" section plus two published clips.

Here's what I got:

Beth--
At this time we are in no position to assign articles (and pay 'kill' fees if they are not published.)

We accept article submitted on 'spec' and available as reprints.
For our writers guidelines, visit: ssss.com
thanks for your interest...


And here's me now:

Totally confused. I did exactly what they wanted and seemingly was slapped on the wrist for not knowing what I was doing...even though I explicitly followed their guidelines.

Or am I misinterpreting? (Or misremembering, a la Roger Clemens). I would definitely appreciate your interpretation.

I'm not losing sleep, however. The query is on its way tonight to another publication! 2000 words on spec? Are you crazy?