Sometimes I get overwhelmed by thought. I occasionally wonder if it's because I'm creative and have trouble focusing at times or if it's just human nature. For example...
This week I've been in the middle of two articles due on the same day (as you may have noted..lol). One was finished (I rarely draft nonfiction) Monday, and the other I just finished last night. Since I cannot, for the life of me, edit worth a crap on the computer, I printed them off around eleven and went to bed to approach them with a fresh eye today.
After a great walk with the dog around 7, I felt the pressure mounting to get these two pieces done and finished. Now. Right now, this instant. Two days, two days, two days is what my logical brain kept saying as I made breakfast and did a bit of cleaning. They're done, they're done, they're done, my creative brain replied as I put away dishes and pulled out boxes of plastic silverware for a party we're having tomorrow. As much as I disliked it, the logical brain just kept pounding away until the panic started to grow.
Hoping for relief, I edited the writing article. Super-easy-peasy. A few (ok, one) typos, a couple of synonyms and a reworded sentence later, I zipped it off to the editor...and made logical brain happy. He immediately shut his stupid mouth and the panic melted away. I think he thinks he got one up on me...logic is always trying to gain the upper hand in my creative life, but I refuse to allow it.
I'm sure I'll hear from him again soon enough, however. I'm still awaiting a phone call for a statistic I'd like to use in the biz article, and if my source doesn't return my call today, old logic will certainly have something to say about that. Why can't he just be quiet..for once?
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Mr. Logic Brain STINKS!
Posted by Beth at Wednesday, June 18, 2008
