My blog has moved!More great writing content added every day!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.writer-in-progress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

the best laid plans

I started this week with very high hopes for my creative (fiction) writing.

When the SeriousWriters met on June 1, I had the grand idea of challenging my friend Katy to a little writing competition. She's starting a new story, I'm starting a new story, and figured we could both use a kick in the pants. I proposed a challenge, and we refined it to be a race to 5K. The first one there wins (we never did choose a reward and punishment..hmmm). We were to start Monday and write with wild abandon until one of us crossed that threshold.

I was mentally prepped to go. I'd spent most of last week brainstorming and outlining the first two scenes of chapter one, nailed down all types of details I need to know before starting (especially names, which have changed), and was practically salivating on Sunday afternoon, forcing myself to not touch my Alphasmart under threat of death. True, I had to attend an out-of-town funeral on Monday, but it was an hour away, and that'd give me ample time to light up the keys with the bar scene.

Alas, it wasn't meant to happen. Insomnia struck Sunday night for some reason (probably thinking I had school Monday...), and I woke up in time to walk the dog and get dressed. Took the alphasmart, but car rides always put me to sleep if I'm the least bit drowsy, so I woke up just in time for the church.

I did do a little more brainstorming on the way home, but not much.

Tuesday, I had a morning appointment then nothing...writing until early afternoon when we were to head south for a baseball game. I did manage to type the first few paragraphs, but nothing as I'd hoped.

Today was a vet's appointment, more cleaning...only to have the hub&son invite friends over to swim, which required a house cleaning. Cleaned the house, friends didn't show. I'm here....no creative writing done. I did manage to sit down and fully brainstorm two nonfiction articles due on the same day next week, however.

Tomorrow I have zero plans. Nothing, except for getting up to walk the dog around six am. Oh, and I'm meeting the SeriousWriters for coffee. Yikes. I just hope Katy's had some busy days at work so I don't look like a total timewaster...maybe I can crank out something in the morning....

I still have high hopes for the story and the challenge. Just might take more time than I'd planned (isn't that the way with writing?!)