I'm working on the book right now and have come up with a problem (not big, maybe more like an issue) and wonder how other writers deal with it.
As I write (two more pages down since noon today), I'm finding places where I need to insert some research or quotes in order to make the information resonate. I don't usually include those things in the first draft (nonfiction we're talking)--that's a second/third draft issue.
My question is...I'm writing the first draft, and normally my second draft is for content editing (changing sentences and paragraphs) as opposed to copy editing (grammar, spelling, etc--usually my last draft). I'm wondering if I should use the second draft as a "quote and research" draft only and leave the content editing for the third draft, or should I do "quotes and research" AND content editing in the second draft together? Or, hell, do "quotes and research" AFTER content editing? That almost seems more logical as the quote & research placement is meant to enhance particular text.
Or is all this talk just procrastination because I've spent 20 minutes working on one paragraph that refuses to solidify on the page? Hmmm....
Goal: page 15 by 2p.m. The hubby and I have gift certificates to spend that expire today (!!) so we're doing lunch and shopping at two. Good deadline....and since I'm hungry, I'm gonna go meet it!
More later (maybe)
Saturday, December 01, 2007
drafts, quotes and edits...oh, and goals, too
Posted by Beth at Saturday, December 01, 2007
