What makes ideas so darned elusive when you're looking for them--but they pop their heads up at the weirdest, most inappropriate times?
Spent the other morning working on an article for a writer's anthology I was invited to submit to. Had my slant, bullet points (yes, I outline rough drafts) and the draft in my mind ready to be forced onto paper.
However, the article had other ideas. It refused to come out in a neat and orderly fashion, so I had to squeeze it out. Like fresh orange juice, it splattered all over my paper, but I took what I could get.
Later that morning, at a massively important meeting with the boss and girls at the office, the entire, full-blown article idea that'd been on the tip of my brain came rushing full speed. It had no sympathy for the fact that I was trying to keep up with program changes at work, thinking of the methodology section for my thesis, mentally proofreading something else for work--it just jumped out.
I frantically scribbled in my own, unique shorthand way everything flying at me, and it all made sense later in the day when I went back over the notes. Beautiful. Emailed some editors for quotes and fleshed out the rest of the article over lunch.
Moral of the story: If the idea ain't there when you want it, just wait. It'll come. And if it doesn't, well, I can't help--but maybe it wasn't the right idea for you.
Happy Writing...
Beth
